Thursday, August 26, 2004

Dear George

Kevin Hayden at The American Street writes a letter to President No Nuts:

[. . .]

I put on 12,000 miles per year on a car that gets 24 MPG and my gas in the past year has been about a buck higher, on average, than it was when you took office. So that's $500 a year that went to your buddies in Texas and Saudi Arabia, mostly. It's more than the tax cut I got. I haven't seen gas prices at record highs since, well, since your Daddy was in charge. Fancy that.

I can't afford to get sick anymore. I've only had one job that offered healthcare benefits in the past 20 years. College isn't something I encourage to my kids anymore. They're bright as the sun, but sans scholarships, it's just too much debt to get saddled with so young. "Make rich friends and kiss their asses" is the employment advice I give 'em, because it's the only thing I haven't tried, so maybe it'll work. Can't even marry above my station because I don't know a soul in the station above me, but maybe they'll get lucky there, as well.

[. . .]

Wages seem to be flat for everyone except CEOs anymore, unless they're in Ohio or Michigan or Colorado or Oregon where they're lucky if they just have a job.

Which is the main thing I wanted to write you about. You can't sell it to the worse off folks like most people are, talking so much about corners. I recognize that the oil companies and insurance companies and weapons makers and Saudi Arabia are well past the corner posting record revenues. (6.4% growth to the country whose citizens attacked us on 9/11!)

[. . .]


Go read the whole thing. You have to.

No comments: