Saturday, March 12, 2005

Conspiracy theories

Everybody's on about Blondie's post about a 9/11 conspiracy.

[. . .]

Well I don't know what happened but I am inclined to not believe a word of the official story because it's just ridiculous and insults my intelligence. Found this article today and I think you should read it if you are interested in 9/11 . . .


Let's just say that while the article illustrates some great investigative work through the public domain, I don't buy it. Let me say, in qualification, that I was an assistant to the maintenance supervisor for 2 years in a B-52 squadron and another year at DFW International Airport.

The article is thought-provoking, but the backup is thin, especially the:

In fact, if one looks very closely at the diameter versus width of the tire that was found at the Pentagon, this is the type of tire used for carrier based and general rear wheels of smaller military planes . . .


Examining scale in pictures is notoriously inaccurate. Examining destroyed jet engine parts via photgraphs is also inaccurate. I saw the jerky video frames of the aircraft striking the Pentagon and there is no doubt (the distinctive 'Boeing nose'), from my experienced eye, that it was a commercial aircraft of Boeing manufacture. Sorry, guys. Admirable research work, but no dice that it was a military aircraft. If it bore any resemblance to a military aircraft it would be the KC-135, the military version of the Boeing 707.

Now, if you want to go into who was behind enabling the terrorists to accomplish their goals, I'll get into a debate, but this argument holds no water. I'd like Bush to swing as much as anyone and if there is legitimate evidence that would implicate the administration in the 9/11 attacks, I would love see it in the light of day. But going at it from this angle is probably a waste of time.

And just another technical note: The A-3 and 737 were not the only aircraft fitted with the JT8(x) series engines.

Also: if it were a military aircraft or missile, where did the civilians go who were supposedly on the commercial jet? They are still missing.

No comments: