Monday, July 24, 2006

Lives in the Balance

TalkLeft has an anti-war video set to Jackson Browne's Lives in the Balance.

There are lives in the balance
There are people under fire
There are children at the cannons
And there is blood on the wire

If you click on "It even has his endorsement", it will take you to Browne's site where you can hear some tunes from his album Solo Acoustic Vol. 1. I like acoustic music, particularly artists accompanying themselves with minimal or no backing.

I've always kinda liked Jackson Browne. Running on Empty was a lifestyle for me years ago and it's comin' around again as I get older. This time it's more like Running on Fumes.

Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels
Looking back at the years gone by like so many summer fields
In sixty-five I was seventeen and running up one-o-one
I dont know where Im running now, Im just running on

In '65 I was a 20-year-old Jarhead, but later I did a lot of runnin' up and down 101. You might have seen me:

He wore black denim trousers and motorcycle boots
And a black leather jacket with an eagle on the back
He had a hopped-up 'sickle that took off like a gun
That fool was the terror of Highway 101

These days, I got a little speed wobble and piston slap, but I'm still runnin'. As soon as the current criminals are out of office, I'll happily throw a rod and coast to the shoulder.

Sometimes I amaze myself with how my stream-of-unconsciousness can start on one subject and end up on another. Tried to save it with my last sentence. Heh.

No comments: