Thursday, September 20, 2007

Coming down ...

I know I probably piss a number of people off when I come down on the Dems. Trust me, I know the Rethugs are being obstructionist, forcing the Dems to get a supermajority for every bill they want to pass. We saw it with Webb and Habeas yesterday.

Thing is, I expect more from the Dems. I hold them to a higher standard than I do the Rethugs. I expect their best efforts should be focused on doing the right thing, not political expediency. When they cave to the Chimp, namely over the FISA bill, just to get out of town for the August recess, I got a problem.

It started in '02, when the Chimp's play for war in Iraq was endorsed without much discussion. When many of us knew what the result would be long before the first U.S. boots hit the ground in Iraq. Don't tell me none of the Dems knew the same things. They've spent the last 5 years laying the blame at the Chimp's feet when all they had to do was what the Rethugs are doing now.

They did the same with Bush's Supreme Court nominees, caving when they should have put up a fight. Sorry, but if you're not going to fight for yourself, for the people you represent, just because someone might call you a pussy or some such, well you won't get much respect from me.

I was called names in '02, '03, '04 for voicing my displeasure with the war, for saying it was a big mistake, for saying it was only for oil. So were a lot of people who expected someone to stand up and do the right thing. Guess what? We were right. About everything.

Yes, I'll vote Dem. I certainly won't vote for a Republican ever again. But I'll be damned if I actually go out and support people I don't respect. I will not push the party line if I don't agree with it and I will certainly vote for a viable third party alternative if that ever comes to pass in our fucked up political situation.

I'm tired of the laziness and ass-covering. I'm tired of my elected representatives being scared of bullies. I'm tired of people being resigned to the fact that anything they do will be shot down so why bother trying. Are there any folks out there willing to stand up for 'the right thing' regardless of political expediency or the will of special interest? It doesn't seem there are. Everybody talks a good line until they worry about reelection.

The seat they hold is not theirs, it's ours and we decide who holds it. If you won't do what we send you to Washington to do, you should be replaced. You represent the majority of the people in your districts and those are regular working folks, not multi-billion dollar conglomerates.

If you want my support, earn it.

And let me just add, there are individual Dems who are doing yeoman's work. I'm speaking of Dems collectively because if they don't all get together and on the same page, ain't shit gonna change.

No comments: