Monday, November 24, 2008

Dreams ...



Blondie - Dreaming


If there's one description of me I wholeheartedly endorse is that I'm a dreamer. Been one since I've been a little kid and it's a part of my personality that I hope never changes. Big dreams, little dreams, doesn't matter. I've dreamt up all the architectural changes to our house, 14 novels, countless hotrods and race cars; I would not be the man I am (the man I've always wanted to be) without my dreams.

It's nice to see a tenured professional in his field giving young folks the all-clear to dream:

That's really what I think, and I suppose what worries me as well. The problem is not that students don't dream - they do. The problem is that students too often fail to dream big. If you are going to dream, why waste it on something small?

I'm not sure students are to blame for this. I suspect this is something we, their parents and teachers have done to them. Our intent was to protect them from hurt. We forgot there are things far worse than disappointment.

So my advice to students (and that includes my 20-year-old daughter) is this: Find the biggest, coolest most audacious dream you can and own it. Make that crazy dream yours and go get it.

Your parents will worry, your teachers will patiently explain how hard it is, and you can just smile knowingly. You will understand that the dream, your dream, is not the place where you end up, but the road you will spend your life traveling. You'll understand that while everyone falls down, dreamers always get up and that disappointment, as uncomfortable as it is sometimes, is not nearly as uncomfortable as never having reached. [my em]


Failure in itself is a learning experience (the lesson might be more than you want to pay, however, but that's what makes life interesting) but everyone fails. Everyone has a dream dashed or an attempt foiled, but if fear of failure prevents you from trying to realize your dreams, you'll find, evenutally and when it's too late, life will seem unfulfilled.

Some of my best memories in life were of attempts that crashed and burned, but it was the 'getting there' that was so exciting and fulfilling (not the 'kill' but 'the thrill of the chase'). I agree with Mr. Brown. Dream, dream big, and try to live those dreams. 'Mundane' for me would be a fate worse than death.

***


Sorry for being scarce this weekend, but somehow Thanksgiving went from dad-in-law Fixer spending the day with us to him staying until Sunday and company on top of it to boot. Murder crossed my mind but Mrs. F hasn't been able to entertain since before we went to Germany last Christmas and she's been going nuts (Me and dad-in-law F have been getting more and more elaborate, gourmet meals over the last 6 months and she's hung another 10 lbs. on our asses). She deserves the chance to show off. That said, the house is a hard hat zone and I'm scrambling to make it somewhat safe for everybody before Thursday. I don't need to test my homeowner's policy.

Weekend whorage will happen this evening.

***


And, lastly but most certainly not leastly, 18 years ago today I married Mrs. F which was, by far, the single best decision I ever made in my life. Thank god my con job, browbeating, begging, whining, pleading, proposal was accepted.

She's my best friend, lover, companion, and confidant all wrapped up in one and I couldn't picture my life without her in it.

I'm still gonna shoot her though. Heh ...

Link thanks to Athenae.

No comments: