Wednesday, February 25, 2009

This time!


Cheyenne Scouts Patrolling The Big Timber Of The North Canadian, Oklahoma
by
Frederic Sackrider Remington, 1889

Click to wayembiggen


During President Obama's speech, he made no bones about the fact that this is Bush's Depression that he inherited. He kept using the phrase "This time" which I took to mean that we're going to do something different when giving money to banks instead of just giving money to banks.

Anyway, it brought to mind something I thought up, or maybe stole, years ago. I have a very cheap reproduction of the above painting hanging on my living room wall. Mrs. G paid eight bucks for it at the local Methodist Church rummage sale about 15 years ago. I've always liked it, as well as just about anything else by Remington, and more by many other Western artists.

I didn't even know the name of the painting until I went looking for it to share it with you. I've always just called it "This Time!" and made up this caption for it:

"We're going to do things different this time. This time, we're gonna ride down there and steal the cattle and make love to the women!"

Certainly not exact, but I think it's analagous to Obama trying to do things the right way as opposed to the way Bush did it.

No comments: