Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Long Island Racists ...

Not a new sports franchise, a crop of assholes the give this moslty progressive place a very bad name. My neighbor Blondie:

Last night though I was talking to someone who lives in the town just south of me and he told me they were fighting to keep black people from the next town over out of their village. He said it was sickening. Oh for god's sake, I thought that we were beyond that crap by now. But nooooooo

...

On most of Long Island, it is not socially acceptable to be openly racist so I was not really aware that it was so prevalent here (and I suppose that since I mostly associate with liberals and progressives, I didn't see the whole picture.) The island is becoming more and more populated with Central American immigrants, and from my experience thus far, these folks are lovely, hard working people. There are many folks from El Salvador now living in my town and taking the place of the Italian immigrants who were here when I moved in. As far as I know, there haven't been any hate crimes taking place in my area and I pray that we remain tolerant and welcoming to new arrivals to the US... and I think we need to totally kick the butts of the white KKK types and let them know in no uncertain terms that their behavior will not be tolerated.

...


Indeed. It's one of the reasons I love where I live so much. Aside from world class beaches and history that goes back to the founding of this nation (we can even claim a President, Theodore Roosevelt), its diversity is a great thing. We are, and always have been, at the apex of the Great Melting Pot, most immigrants entering the country here before finding their own little niche of America.

Racism should have no place anywhere in the U.S. but especially not here.

No comments: