Saturday, February 13, 2010

Wild Women Of Song

I had never heard of Pamela Rose or any of these gal songwriters of the Jazz Age until I read this article. I liked what I read so I went looking and found this vid.

"Pamela Rose takes jazz to historic heights with her show Wild Women of Song. And I mean that literally. Like some sort of younger and way more glam Doris Kearns Goodwin, she introduces nearly every one of her chosen female-written tunes with fact-filled vignettes about the composers, bringing her heroines to poignant, funny life with her stories of travail and triumph. (We knew Ms. Rose could sing, but she also tells a mean tale.) Then the prefaced melody begins, the band starts to swing, and you feel the tides of time sweeping along. It goes beyond a jazz show. It's a swinging honors course in womankind." - BRUCE KELLEY, EDITOR, SAN FRANCISCO MAGAZINE

WHAT? More glam than Doris Kearns Goodwin? No way...

On a personal note, Ms. Rose does a little of Peggy Lee's "Fever". I rode the school bus for years with Peggy Lee's daughter (photo, seated center). Didn't see her for 45 years until my H.S. reunion in '07 and now we keep in touch on Facebook.


Pamela Rose - Wild Women of Song: Great Gal Composers of the Jazz Era

Thanks to DealMattersENT.

No comments: