Monday, April 4, 2011

Garden update ...

Oy. Well, first off, I was gonna surprise the Mrs. so I ordered up a little shitbag plastic fence from Home Depot online. Unfortunatley, H-D didn't email me when the stuff shipped. I'm usually around when UPS comes and I deal with it. I figured I'd be outside and intercept him before he rang the bell and set it up while the Mrs. was working. Well, today, while I was running around, the shit came and was waiting inside the front door when I walked in. There were 6 boxes.

Needless to say, the Mrs. and the dogs interrogated me until I spilled the beans (the dogs were only happy to see me, the Mrs. wanted to know what was in the boxes).

So here it is. This took me 4 hours. The Mrs. likes it and it doesn't look half-bad (it'll do the trick until I get my buddy Ed the Welder to make me something out of wrought iron - 2 or 3 years maybe), but I had to engineer it a bit.

Like I said, it's shitbag plastic, probably made in the same place they make those shitty plastic coat hangers. But it's cheap so I won't mind ripping it up when Eddie gets "a round toit" (I introduced him to the mother of his 6 kids so he owes me one ... or not).

The little clips connecting the pieces are shitty, and it was an ass-puckering experience trying to lock them together without breaking (I broke 2). Fortunately, being in the auto repair business for 30-odd years, I got a million black cable ties. I ended up using a tie at every joint and it really stiffened everything up. The Mrs. likes it, I'm happy.



I also added some more plants to give the perimeter some more depth and color.

On the east side, I put a couple Sedum on either side of a Red Dianthus.



On the north side, I did the same thing on either side of the Japanese Holly and the Juniper, though instead of the succulents flanking the Dianthus, I used English Daisies.



I used the same combination on the south side.



On the west side I put a Sedum in the center and two varieties of Phlox (Emerald Pink and Emerald Blue).



And last but not least, I added a Clematis to the center bed (in the tripod) and I'm gonna let that grow up the tree.



Time to have a beer, take a shower, and wind the dogs up to have the Mrs. make us dinner (I send surrogates, heh ...). Later.

No comments: