Thursday, November 10, 2005

Ethics 101

The NYTimes has a tongue-in-cheek Op-Ed about the White House Ethics classes.

"I'm glad you brought up the subject of oil. Let's suppose there was an energy-related company. And a high government official, say, used to work for it. Now let's say that his country - call it Country A - went to war against Country B. And the energy-related company then got a very lucrative contract to rebuild Country B. Now let's say that the high government official agitated - indeed, pushed - his government to invade Country B in the first place. Do you see any potential conflict there?"

"None at all."

"Anyone? Yes, Harriet?"

"The vice president is the second most brilliant person I have ever met, and if he says it's O.K. to pull out people's -"

"Harriet, we're not discussing whether someone is smart."

"Sorry. I withdraw."

"I'm out of here."

"Mr. Vice President, class is not over until I - what is it, Karl? I asked you to put away your Blackberry."

I think the best they can hope for is to teach their ethically challenged staff to act in an ethical manner as if they mean it so they can act like victims when they get caught. The real reason is a PR smokescreen, of course.

No comments: