Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Belfast Cowboy

Ya gotta get out of the mountains more, pardner.

That was a comment from Fixer on my post about Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris' new album All the Roadrunning (review). Me 'n Mrs. G picked it up tonight, but haven't played it yet. Instead we watched Mr. Knopfler and Ms. Harris play songs from the CD and get interviewed for a whole hour on "Imus in the Morning" on tape. Awesome.

I've been an Emmylou fan for over thirty years. Now I'm a Mark Knopfler fan as well.

Fixer, buddy, pal, I gotta disagree with ya. Y'all gotta up to the mountains more often. Or at least out of the Big City and get somethin' on yer shoes that'll make ya cuss. That's where the music seems to be going. In proof, I offer the latest by the Irish Bluesman, Van Morrison's new album, Pay the Devil. I'm listening to it on the album link as we speak. I've been a fan of his for years and this is the first I've ever heard him do a treatment of traditional Country songs. Different. Really good.

Go listen, city slickers 'n dumb-ass country fucks like me both. All the rest of ya, too. Enjoy.

No comments: