Friday, March 30, 2007

I never got it ...

Until I read this post at Rez Dog's. I always wondered why guys who've seen war, fought in it, are so gung-ho for this steaming pile of bullshit the Chimp has foisted upon the American people. This makes sense to me:

...

War turns human beings into killers, "citizens of death’s gray land". We all became killers and must come to terms with that fact. One way is to insist that our actions were absolutely justified, that we were right to kill. Another way is to recognize that what we did was not justified, that we were either fooled or acquiesced to killing. I have always considered myself in the latter category, which has left me with a legacy of self doubt and anger. On the surface, I would think that believing in what you did would be easier to deal with but the vehemence of the pro-war veterans suggest to me that they can only be sure of their actions as long as no one questions them. When fellow veterans question war, their certainty is at risk. [my em]

...


I never understood guys who know what war is about advocating it in the strongest terms, I expect it from the 'chickenshit' conservatives. From my limited experience (a few skirmishes in East Asia, drug interdiction, Grenada), I would never wish war on anyone, especially the innocent.

No comments: