Thursday, May 6, 2010

George Will's wind energy claims are for the birds

Following up on Fixer's post, here's some figures on bird deaths from Media Matters in the wake of George Will's asinine 'statistics' about wind farms:

Number of bird deaths from wind farms relatively small compared to other causes. According to the most recent figures provided to Media Matters from the American Bird Conservancy, whom Will cited in his Newsweek column, the number of birds killed in the United States every year because of striking windmills is relatively small compared to other causes:

CAUSE - BIRD DEATHS

Building strikes - 100 million - 1 billion

Car strikes - 200 - 300 million

Communication towers - 4 - 50 million

Power lines - 75 million

Cats - 365 million (1 million per day)

Wind farms - 100,000 - 300,000

Gee, they left out Thanksgiving and Christmas. And chickens. And ducks, geese, pheasants, and other game birds.

By the way, the way birds get killed by power lines is they shit on them and get electrocuted up the arse. The last nanosecond of life must be a doozie!

I will add to those figures if I ever get my hands on that damn screeching Steller's jay that hangs around here. Since he can fly and I can't, fat chance.

Related:

Democratic Underground

Massive Windspill Reported In Southern California

I'm-- I'm so sorry if this is disjointed (WHOOOSH) or confusing (WHOOSH), but-- I find myself the middle of a disaster of unprecedented proportions (WHOOOSH) and -- oh the humanity -- I'm having a hard time understanding how we progressives (WHOOOSH) (WHOOOSH) could ever let this happen!?

You see, I live in Southern California... just north of the Tehachapi Pass Wind Farm... and this morning a lipstick lesbian biker gang lost control of their motorcycles and CRASHED into one of the turbines and now...

THERE IS (WHOOOSH) FUCKING WIND (WHOOOSH) EVERYWHERE!!!!

More. Heh.

No comments: