Sunday, August 22, 2010

Camera mount

This is a response to a request from one of our good friends on this post. Boy, between you guys and Fixer, I'm earning my money today! (cough; sob...)

The motorcycle is a 2001 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet Classic, an old-fashioned lump manufactured in India for over 50 years. With a claimed 22bhp, it is more or less a self-propelled boat anchor speed-wise. At my age, speed be damned, been there, done that, still alive in spite of it. It's fast enough and it's a helluva lotta fun to ride.

It is not the ideal camera platform. A legacy of its old-fashionedness is that it vibrates at certain speeds and the camera is sensitive to it. I'm working on it.

The camera is a Samsung F-33. It gets good reviews and I'm very happy with it as my first camcorder. Also, it was cheap enough that if when the bike vibrates it to bits I will revere its memory and go get a new one. If I solve the vibration problem and hit the lottery, I'll get this one.

The mount is a RAM Mount which I got from Motovideo. Simple and sturdy, again not ideal, but good value for money. When I get a suction cup base for it I'll regale you with windshield panoramas from the pickup. Better for winter too. Heh.

The overview. Pardon the open garage door. I forgot you were coming.

Click fotos to embiggen


The close-up. The mount is two ball joints with a springloaded clamp between them for adjustment.



And the obligatory artsy-fartsy picture-within-a-picture shot:



My YouTube buddy lunmad does DIY Triumph maintenance videos and lovely riding videos in the North of England. He bungee cords a tripod across the back of the bike and the results look very good. I want the camera where I can see it in case when it starts to unscrew itself.

Taking and sharing little movies from the bike is a lot of fun. So is telling you guys about it.

No comments: