Friday, December 2, 2005

Pilot circles globe in grandfather's seaplane

I forgot all about this. I even went back and read October posts to make sure I really had forgotten to post it. Luckily, it's nothing particularly timely, just enjoyable. From the Sierra Sun.

Iren Dornier piloted his vintage 1938 seaplane over Lake Tahoe Monday evening, dipping to skim the lake in the dimming light before coming to land in Truckee.
The week-long stay in Truckee for Dornier and his refurbished aluminum aircraft is part of a two-year global mission to raise money for children in the Philippines. After a year-long mission through Asia, Europe and the Middle East, Dornier is taking the plane throughout North and South America, raising funds for the United Nations Children's Fund chapter in the Philippines.

Dornier is the grandson of aviation pioneer Claude Dornier, who founded the Dornier line of airplanes. And he is following in his grandfather's footsteps in two respects.

His global mission has set him on a path that retraces his grandfather's flights in a Dornier Do-X seaplane, which at the time was the largest, heaviest and most powerful aircraft in the world.

I missed getting over to the airport to see it up close, so it came to me. On its way out of town it flew right over my house. Believe me, I heard it coming and ran out to see what all the racket was! A big, beautiful old-fashioned flying boat. It's magnificent! Photo at the link.

No comments: