Wednesday, October 25, 2006

So?

Where are they gonna come from?

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Two weeks before U.S. midterm elections, American officials unveiled a timeline Tuesday for Iraq's Shiite-led government to take specific steps to calm the world's most dangerous capital and said more U.S. troops might be needed to quell the bloodshed.

U.S. officials previously said they were satisfied with troop levels and had expected to make significant reductions by year's end. But a surge in sectarian killings, which welled up this past summer, forced them to reconsider. [my em]

...


Are we gonna lower the recruiting standards even more? Are we gonna hire mercenaries? Are we gonna revive the Draft? Tell me, because the military is barely meeting recruiting goals now. Tell me, after the deadliest month for U.S. troops in Iraq for over a year, how in Hell you're gonna get more young folks to sign up? I dunno, but $40,000 is no incentive for me to leave a limb, my sanity, or my corpse on some far off battlefield in an illegal war.

Tip o' the Brain to Driftglass.

No comments: