Monday, October 23, 2006

You don't know ...

How many times I hear "we shoulda gone into Iraq and killed 'em all. We wouldn't have the problems over there we do now".

And I say "yes, instead of just attacking a sovereign nation and occupying it, we should have just gone there and committed genocide." Though that's what it's amounted to at this point, close to four years down the line.

I can't believe how many people think invading a nation that posed us no threat is justified. I can't believe that people are not angry about the invasion in itself, just the fact we fucked it up so badly. Do they think the Middle East is our private gunnery range? Do they think the guy in Iraq, who's doing nothing more than his counterpart here, trying to keep his job and put food on the table for his family, has any less of a right to live in peace than we do? Is the average Iraqi's life worth any less than an American one? If you don't understand why invading Iraq was wrong, I don't know what I can say to make you understand.

I think that's what bugs me the most. That people believe we have the right to do anything we want, destroy as many lives as we want, as long as we do it somewhere else.

Listen to me: The invasion of Iraq was a war crime in and of itself. Once we crossed that line, once the balloon went up, everything else that happens after is also illegal. If you don't get it by now you never will.

Personally, I don't give a shit about peoples' reasons for their animosity toward this President and Congress as long as they vote the corrupt bunch out on Election Day. It just gets me that people can disregard real American values so long as the shit doesn't splatter them. Most people in Germany didn't give a shit when they started dragging the Jews away either. Look what it got 'em.

Hat tip to Atrios.

No comments: