Friday, February 23, 2007

Oregon Senator has 61/73 yo women arrested

Daily Kos

2 women, yesterday, wanted to speak to their imperial senator; obviously, a senator is above that kind of 'wallowing in the masses' kinda thing.

Imagine the gall of these women! Expecting someone as important as a Senator to speak with old, female constituents who obviously can't contribute much money to his re-election is just un-American!

Naturally, a Senator that would have elderly women arrested for exercising their free speech rights is a Rethuglican!

And your point is...? I coulda guessed that.

From one of the newly minted misdemeanants:

The receptionist asked us to leave, Dot and I refused - and 3 regular police officers came to arrest us - soon joined by 3 bicycle officers. Dot and I must appear awfully dangerous to require 6 police officers - even though I am only about 5'4" tall and Dot's head barely came to the height of my shoulder. (I'd guess Dot is slightly less than 5' tall.) Neither Dot nor I would make a very convincing Amazons, but I felt honored. Each police officer who Dot and I encountered today were courteous, polite, and even apologetic; some seem amused - a few seemed shocked. I feel that they should be commended for their warmth and courtesy - I think Dot would agree that we felt we received better treatment from the hands of PPD than we did from Sen. Smith's office.

Of course I spoke to all my fellow prisoners as well - and urged them to vote. They all expressed shock that two old ladies were arrested for attempting to talk to their senator. (I think I should have been a politician or a preacher cause proselytizing comes so naturally. :-D)

Let me encourage you - I had a great time meeting all the other women. I begin to think that some of the most interesting, independent and intelligent women are not necessarily "model little housewives" or entirely respectable ones from society's viewpoint, though more than a few have had very difficult lives and backgrounds. I must say that I liked Daniel, Monica, Katrina, a beautifull young 18 year old, and all the other women I met "behind bars".

I like those kinda gals too, Kathleen, and I've met quite a few in our coed county clink, but don't get to likin' jail too much! The novelty wears off after the first coupla times.

This wasn't actually done by the Senator, but by his staffers doing it in his name, so he gets the responsibility for it. We better hear an apology.

Much more at the link.

No comments: