Sunday, May 27, 2007

Epitaphs

Some of these may be on the headstones in Fixer's sobering post.

From Epitaphs of the War, 1914-1918 by Rudyard Kipling.

AN ONLY SON

I have slain none except my Mother.
She (Blessing her slayer) died of grief for me.

BATTERIES OUT OF AMMUNITION

If any mourn us in the workshop, say
We died because the shift kept holiday.

THE BRIDEGROOM

Call me not false, beloved,
If, from thy scarce-known breast
So little time removed,
In other arms I rest.

For this more ancient bride
Whom coldly I embrace
Was constant at my side
Before I saw thy face.

Our marriage, often set-
By miracle delayed-
At last is consummate,
And cannot be unmade.

Live, then, whom Life shall cure.
Almost, of Memory,
And leave us to endure
Its immortality.

The one that applies least to Bush's War:

"EQUALITY OF SACRIFICE"

A. "I was a Have." B. "I was a 'have-not.' "
(Together.) "What hast thou given which I gave not?"

And one that applies to all wars since time immemorial and, sadly, will until the planet crumbles to dust:

COMMON FORM

If any question why we died,
Tell them, because our fathers lied.

No comments: