Sunday, October 21, 2007

Real Christians ... again

As regular readers know, I'm probably considered an atheist by most. Though I consider myself a spiritual man, I don't believe in organized religion or the worship of some deity.

That said, I respect people's beliefs. I don't want to do away with religion (just keep it out of my fucking government) and I admire people who who can strictly adhere to their faith's teachings. I admire their commitment and, generally, every religion has a 'Golden Rule' thus bringing out the best in those so devout. Mother Theresa comes to mind, as does Gandhi. My aunt, for example, is a devout Roman Catholic. She doesn't curse (the worst I've ever heard her say was 'shit' and I think she said Hail Mary's and Novenas for a month afterward), she is a good person, participates in charities and events to raise money for the poor, regardless of skin color or faith. If I had any pull with the Vatican (that would be the day), I'd put her up for sainthood.

Then there are those, in this nation and others, who have taken their religion's teachings and perverted them, or ignored them completely, all the while looking down their nose at anyone with differing beliefs or without belief at all. They profit immeasurably, both monetarily and in terms of their personal political power, and these are the folks I have problems with. The Roberts Family, for instance:

...

• As of 2003, Richard Roberts was compensated at the following levels -- $181,469.00 in annual salary from ORU; in excess of $100,000 as Vice President of City Plex; and an additional $41,530/year from the Oral Roberts Evangelistic Association. Additional incomes from "Make Your Day Count" could not be verified but are likely.

• According to the Draft report, Richard Roberts stated in a taped phone call, "I have the deck stacked -- I am elected to three year terms and if a Regent appears to give me trouble, I remove him. I stack the deck...." (Draft report cites a numbered tape as documentation.)

• Richard Roberts receives complete housing benefits from the university which includes all associated costs: e.g., 13 internet/cable connections, wide-screen televisions, hot tubs, an Imperial Stove ($15,000), Washer/Dryers ($6,000), and all furnishings. The family selects furnishings for the home, the ministry then pays for the items and arranges for delivery.

• The Roberts home has been remodeled 11 times in the last 14 years. Each time, Mrs. Roberts demands more changes. During the most recent renovation, an $800 bathtub was installed for daughter Chloe.

• Dead bolt locks were installed on all bedroom doors at the insistence of the Roberts' oldest daughter. This was precipitated by Mrs. Roberts repeatedly moving into the home her 16 year old male "friend," which made her daughters uncomfortable.
...


These people prey on and take advantage of the most uneducated, hopeless, and gullible amongst us and what they do is no different from the Osamas and Arafats of the world. The Roberts' mock the beliefs of their followers, waste their donations, and flagrantly disobey the teachings of a man who would most surely frown on their lifestyle.

From what I have seen over the course of my life, I feel confident making the general statement that our 'religious leaders' are the most immoral of us all.

No comments: