Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Makes me wanna kill somebody ...

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― The U.S. Military is demanding that thousands of wounded service personnel give back signing bonuses because they are unable to serve out their commitments.

To get people to sign up, the military gives enlistment bonuses up to $30,000 in some cases.

Now men and women who have lost arms, legs, eyesight, hearing and can no longer serve are being ordered to pay some of that money back.

...


I don't know where to start when I hear this. The first time I heard a wounded, disabled GI being asked for part of their enlistment bonus back, I assumed it was a typical 'military administrative glitch' (if you've served, you know what I mean) but this is unconscionable.

Are they saying leaving a limb behind on the battlefield doesn't square any debt the soldier owes? Are they saying GIs must pay for the privilege of being maimed in defense of their country? Are they saying this is standard policy? Or is it, after throwing the gates of the Treasury open to Halliburton, the government is trying to save money in other places, on the backs of those they sent to this illegal war to begin with?

Supporting the troops, my ass. Happy-fucking-Thanksgiving.

Tip o' the Brain to Dr. Atta J. Turk (Podiatrist to the Stars).

No comments: