Thursday, March 24, 2011

Gotta get out more ...

I've said, since I've been blogging, that my travels throughout the world have made a big impact on what I feel America's place on this planet and responsibilities toward it should be.

If there is ever a truism in life, I've found, it's that people are far more alike than different. We all want the same things and have the same aspirations, regardless of race or nationality.

Krugman touches on this today (along with a handy map):

...

But what struck me about the whole piece was the assumption that modern medicine in general is something only we lucky free-market Americans have, while in Europe they’re still using leeches or something. In other words, it’s part of the superiority complex you often encounter in U.S. politics; people just know that we’re the best, and won’t believe you when you tell them that actually they have the Internet, cell phones, and antibiotics in Europe too.

...


Though, seemingly unbelievably in this day and age, I still run into Ugly Americans all over the world.

I've had many experiences with European health care over the past 45 years (the first time when I was 4 years old, breaking my leg while jumping across a stream that runs behind the house). I've seen their cancer wards (when my uncle was dying with leukemia) and how they treat their old people (my great-uncle and aunt and their nursing home care) and we would be damned glad to have what they do.

I hope I live long enough to see the US come to its collective senses.

No comments: