Friday, April 29, 2005

Heavy G's Stax o' Wax

This is probably the last music list you'll ever see. It's been my experience that when the bandwagon slows down enough for me to jump on, it's because the horse just died.

I do most of my music listening at home. Our rigs have AM/FM and that's it. When we go on long trips, what the hell, I like Mexican music. Country music's country music, whatever the country. My wife's gettin' ready to score a new CD player with a pickup truck wrapped around it, so that might change.

I don't have one of those iPod thingies. I only recently got wireless headphones, which are damn handy when working at HAL or on the shitter. Like a lot of things, though, the batteries go bad at the darndest times!

I've got an Emerson set. AM/FM/cassette-to-cassette/3 CD/turntable. I got it because of the turntable. It'll play my old LP's (toity tree n' a toids for you New Yorkers) but I'm SOL on my 45's and 78's. It holds 3 CD's but I rarely plan that far ahead. I used to use a belt-drive Dual hooked to an amp I built from a Heathkit. The new set is a cheapie, but it beats the shit out of them $30 boom boxes I was using to play CD's and cassettes. FYI, my old Chevy van still has an 8-track set. Heh! The modern electronics are a marvel.

These are albums (yes, I still call 'em that) I've played in the last few days:

Meet Me In Margaritaville-Jimmy Buffett
Life Goes On-Desert Rose Band
Houndog Ramble-LeRoy Mack
My Mother's Voice-Kathy Kallick
Bakersfield Bound-Chris Hillman & Herb Pedersen
Follow My Lead-The Fox Family
Live: The Farewell Tour-Cher
Poet In My Window-Nanci Griffith
The Angels Are Singing: A Women's Bluegrass Gospel Collection-Various Artists

Tip: Try the last one during romantic moments. Talk about a religious experience!

Songs from the Depression-The New Lost City Ramblers

I haven't played that one recently, but what the hell, I'll throw it in anyway because it's got one of the best verses in music that ever was:

"Back again! Back again!
We got Franklin Delano Roosevelt back again!
Since Roosevelt's been re-elected,
Moonshine likker's been corrected!
We got legal wine, whiskey, beer, an' gin!"


A plenty good reason why we need a Democratic President, I think, although I would like to add certain herbal products as well.

Music is fun and good for the soul. 'Nuff said.

No comments: