Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Sense

Echidne:

It has taken me a long time to decide that this article is not a hoax. I so wanted it to be a joke.

It is written by one Ronald E. Williams, an American Talibanist of an extreme kind, and it advocates corporeal punishment of children. No, it doesn't just advocate such punishment, it begs and pleads the parents (the father, obviously, but the mother can be delegated the duty to beat) to really revel in such beatings, to give them a chance to work by sticking at it, for hours if necessary. Why? Because the Bible tells him so. Also because children are inherently bad (why did God make them so?) and need to have their will broken, preferably before they turn twelve months old. No, I am not making this up.

[. . .]


Now, being the only child of a crusty Brit and an artillery horse German, I got disciplined. Boy did I get disciplined. I deserved it too. I was a pain in the ass when I was young. My dad was free with the hand, or to give me a boot in the ass, and mom could pick me off at 30 feet with the wooden spoon, but I never got a beating.

. . . This particular child who came along later in our family was extremely willful and rebellious toward our authority and would often require sessions of correction lasting from one to two hours in length before the will would finally be broken! . . . [my emphasis]


And these folks think this is what Jesus would want?

No comments: