Friday, May 4, 2007

Thank you, Brainers

Me 'n Mrs. G really like our music, as regular Brainiacs will know. We collected records and albums independently for 15 years and then combined our collections 33 years ago and have added LPs, 8-tracks, cassettes, and CDs ever since. We also have quite a few 45s and some reel-to-reel stuff too.

A while back, I got a Hammacher-Schlemmer catalog from the catalog department at the Post Office, aka 'wastebasket'. Mrs. G spotted a turntable that would download into the computer from vinyl and from thence we could make CDs. We had never heard of such a thing before. Since it looks like CDs are going to be around for a while, and since we have many, many LPs that are never ever going to come out on CD, she wanted one. They also had a setup that puts the vinyl in the top and the CD in the bottom and records direct, but Mrs. G has a plan to build another component system like we had years ago, so she went this route. The one in the catalog didn't have much info, so rather than buy a pig in a poke, I put out a cry for help in the Brain. There's a lot of knowledge out there, and a beautiful willingness to take a few moments to share.

You guys came through like the Champions you are! I put Mrs. G on the scent from your input and told her to pick out the one she wanted. Like I had to tell her that!

She opted for the Audio-Technica AT-PL120S. I ordered it today. In a 'perfect storm' of serendipity, the thing was marked down from $279.00 to $178.97, and offered free shipping today only, which would have been $21.00. When I ordered it, I was offered another $30 off if I'd get an Amazon.com credit card, for which I was approved in the time it took to go get a coffee refill. From the kitchen, not at Fourbucks.

I had assumed the turntable was marked down because it was an older model, as that's quite common in our rapidly advancing world of technology, although when I went to the A-T site I was informed that this model is "Not available in your world area and/or language." Hmmm. Makes ya wonder, but these days instructions come in about ten languages, so I'm not worried about that. Yes, when I get something new my feminine side comes out and I read the directions.

Anyway, the thing's on the way, and at half price too! Win-win!

I can't wait to blare my music at top volume out of the pickup! The world will love "Da Yoopers" any my vast collection of steam calliope music! The kids down the block are gonna effin' pay for rattlin' my windows...

Thank you guys for your help.

But you're not getting off that easy! Now I need a machine that can record DVDs off of videotapes. I got a sneakin' hunch I better not ask for one that makes DVDs from my old Super-8 home movies...

Suggestions are welcome. Keep 'em clean. Well, on second thought...go for original and funny!

No comments: