Friday, February 18, 2011

Smart people ...

Eventually see the light. I've been reading Balloon Juice for years, though Cole and his bunch were pretty conservative in the beginning, they've been moderate and thoughtful. John Cole's intelligence got the better of him a while back and realized where the conservatives were going. Yesterday, E.D. Cain followed suit:

...

I note all of this just to point out that this sort of thing probably ought to be seen as a severing of ties, a casing off of older positions I’ve held without making a big showy thing out of it. In at least a couple of these posts I say as much, noting that I was wrong to believe X and now that I’ve run the necessary intellectual gauntlet I’ve moved to position Y. Suffice to say, I don’t think any of this puts me in good standing with conservative or libertarian camps, and frankly that’s fine. I have no interest in being either, though I do consider myself a civil libertarian. In other words, I’ve changed my mind. The middle class and American workers are facing some tough times in this country, and I think progressives offer the middle and working class the best options – a revival of organized labor strikes me as fundamentally important to the well-being of our society – so that’s where I’m throwing my support. And I feel better about the stuff I’ve written and the positions I’ve taken lately than I have on anything I’ve written in a long time. I think that’s a good sign. I feel comfortable with these new progressive shoes. They fit nicely.

...


Welcome aboard!

Thanks, Jill.

No comments: