Monday, September 27, 2004

Where's the leadership?

Via Jesus General from Animal Planet:

Sept. 22, 2003 — The U.S. military has launched an investigation into the alleged shooting by a U.S. soldier of a rare Bengal tiger at the Baghdad zoo, the top U.S. military spokesman in Iraq, Lieutenant George Krivo, said Monday.

[. . .]

Adel Salman Musa, the head of the zoo, said Sunday that the tiger was killed last week during an apparently drunken party between U.S. soldiers and a group of Iraqi police officers.

"One of the soldiers, who the Iraqi police said had drunk a lot, went into the cage against the advice of his colleagues and tried to feed the animal, who severely hurt his arm," he explained to AFP.

The tiger tore off one of the soldier's fingers and mauled his arm. One of the other soldiers immediately fired at the animal and killed it, he said. [my emphasis]

[. . .]


So, I ask this question again. Where were the officers? I don't know about the grunts or the jarheads, but I sure as hell wouldn't be under arms if I was drinking. Once more we see that what passes for leadership in Iraq is sorely lacking. Sure, all us enlisted weenies bitched about the officers, but generally, most officers were good leaders. What we have here is bullshit. How this situation, let alone what went down at Abu Ghraib, happened points to a failure of leadership from the top. Not just the officer corps, but the civilian leadership in the Pentagon and above. This is fucking criminal. If that asshole were in my squad, he'd have been tiger shit if I had anything to say about it. I would have giggled my motherfucking ass off as the big cat turned him into a warm meal. Asshole.

No comments: