Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Endorsement

You see what's at stake when a non-profit puts its status on the line. From tgirsch at Lean Left:

For the first time in the organization's history, Planned Parenthood has endorsed a candidate for president: John Kerry. They've got two new ads highlighting this fact. But I do wonder what this means for PPH's tax-exempt status. As I understand it, their political arm, which is not non-profit, is responsible for the endorsement, but I don't think their announcements do enough to differentiate the PAC from the non-profit organization. I'm no attorney, but the law on non-profits and their related PAC arms seems fuzzy to me.

Many moons ago, the Sierra Club willingly sacrificed its tax-exempt status to endorse a presidential candidate. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Planned Parenthood do the same.

No comments: