Thursday, March 5, 2009

Just Another G-Day* In Paradise

*Term is from a fine compliment from Fixer. We've had these at both ends of the United States of Brain Land this week.


Dave The Berm Fairy and his Case 580 Super M Magic Wand
Click to waaaay embiggen.

This is gonna get a little Fixer & Gordon-ish. If details of The Wonderful World Of In-The-Field Snowthrower Repair and How Nice It Is To Have Friends bore you, the shorter version is: Dave saved my ass yesterday.

It snowed here for a coupla days. I went out yesterday to clear the driveway, a daily ritual during snowstorms. I discovered toot de sweet that the snow was unusually heavy, real avalanche snow, and my snowthrower was having difficulty plowing through it. It was ten feet forward, ten feet back, twelve feet forward, ten feet back, and so on. This was shaping up to be real work, which I am generally allergic to.

A note here to folks who don't have the need for a snowthrower or have never used one - if you think all you do is walk along behind the thing and it does all the work, I'm glad for you for not having the need to know. That's sometimes the way it works if the snow isn't too heavy and the machine is working properly. Sometimes you have to really get physical with the sumbitch and horse it around with all your might. It's just a fancy 200-pound snow shovel, after all.

For you technoids, I'm runnin' an MTD 8hp 26" track job. It's on its 14th winter, and the horsies have shrunk a mite, I think. 8-horse is the generally accepted minimum necessary around here, although a 5hp Honda is just as good and an 8hp Honda is da kine! You get what you pay for.

After about five minutes, I had made it the length of the Tacoma, which normally takes about twenty seconds. I began to realize how this was going to go. Fuck me.

I had noticed for a while that my machine wasn't runnin' right, but we've had an unusually light winter and the thing did its job OK so I let it go. It would quit running instead of idle, and on top end would hunt, 8-stroke, run up and down on the governor, etc. I could get it to almost run right with the adjustable main jet which is easily accessible. 35 years experience told me that the slow speed mixture screw needed a 1/4 turn one way or the other, but it's a minor pain to access it.

I figured I was gonna need all the performance this thing had left in it, so I got out the tools, undid five fasteners to get the carb cover off, and adjusted it. Took maybe ten minutes. I work even slower when I'm working for free than when I'm getting paid. Heh.

Ran like a champ! With apologies to Dave Dudley (BCB Band cover), "got 'er wound up and she wuz runnin' like never before". Whee!

Rememberr the 'ten feet forward, ten feet back' part? The motor was running great, but now the machine wouldn't back up! I had to physically pull it back. No fun. I'da collapsed and died before I got to the end of the driveway at this rate.

Again, I knew what was wrong. I had done this before. Now that the engine ran properly, it was overpowering the clutch, which term is a compliment to the antediluvian good ol' Amurrican technology that passes for a drive train in these things.

It's American-made which means it can be easily repaired by the owner which, because it's American-made, he's going to have to. Good circular thinkin', Sparky, and there is something to be said for it. Honda figured out how to keep things from breaking nearly as often by using up-to-the-minute technology, but when they do, the average owner is in the arms of the Honda dealer at $100 an hour.

Back to the garage. Well, just outside it in the snow anyway. Plastic bag under the gas cap and up on its nose. Bottom plate off, gear shaft out, replace drive rubber (an in stock item at my house), button 'er up, and back at it. Probly 30 minutes, a fair bit of which was finding the replacement drive rubber which I had hidden from myself five years ago after the last time I did this job. Remembered to take the plastic bag out from under the gas cap this time before I tried to start the engine. Heh. I'm getting better...

While the thing was apart, up shows The Berm Fairy. Now, I don't know Dave real well, and I've never asked him to remove my berms. He's just been doing it for a coupla years unbidden, bless his heart. Day before yesterday was the first time I've ever caught him at it, and he says he does it because I'm a Good American. I don't care if he does it because he thinks I can sing real loud in church!

Dave's an excavating contractor, a working man who made good. He's dug foundations and done general dirt work around here for years. He dug the foundation for my next door neighbor Clancy's house. Clancy rents out the house and lives in a bachelor's dream tree fort over the garage. They're good friends. Dave comes by to clear the berm next door and just voluntarily does mine while he's at it. Dirt, snow, mox nix. He's got the gear and, like all gearheads, loves to run it.

I called in the pups who were sniffing around his loader while it was working, o potential horror!, put 'em in the house, and ran, well, plodded, down the driveway with a six-pack of Heineken's Best Berm Removal Fuel. I told Dave my snowthrower was apart and asked would he please take a coupla more cuts so I could get my Dakota out (really back in. I coulda powered it out.) and this he did. I got the pictures after an up-'n-down re-plod to get the camera. As he left, I snapped to attention and gave him a Good American full-on Marine embassy guard snappy-ass hand salute, which he returned by turning his ball cap backwards and giving me a thumbs up.

Thank you, Dave. By the way, he doesn't mind being called 'The Berm Fairy'. If he did, I'd be movin' 'em myself and it took guts or a lack of commmon sense to ask him, but I'm a joker. So's he.

Here's what the driveway looked like when he got done:



I had cleared the driveway and the Dakota the day before of about an equal amount of snow, so that's one day's accumulation. Nothing out of the ordinary around here.

I put the snowthrower back together and it worked fine. I got the driveway cleared just enough to satisy the desire to be dug out enough to not be snowed in but not as much as I would have liked. It was hard. It wouldn't throw the heavy snow very much past the buildup at the sides of the driveway, and it avalanched down for twenty feet ahead as I cut near the sides about three or four times. Elapsed time about three and a half hours, normally takes about an hour, and there's more to do. It's gonna take some shovel work and another snowthrower pass to get it the way I like it. Maybe tomorrow. My typing finger is about the only thing I got today that doesn't hurt when I try to use it. It ain't snowing today and the Sun is shining brightly and all's well with the world.

A final note: I'm a mechanic, not that I really need to be to work on a simple gadget like a snowthrower, but I have many thousands of dollars' worth of tools, of which I used maybe fifty bucks' worth on this job, and I keep wear parts in stock. If I had had to call the small engine repair joint, have 'em come get it, fix it and return it, it would have cost a coupla hundred bucks, more if they'da missed the track drive problem the first time. That's if they had the time in the middle of a snowstorm, and if they had the one part I used in stock, which they probably wouldn't have because there's no MTD dealer in town. It could have taken a week to do what I did in less than an hour, and that would be a week of tire-trampling the snow until it was solid bumpy ice, or shoveling it by hand, or paying someone like Dave about a Benjie to plow you out. It can add up. The total out-of-pocket expense of this whole saga was a long-gone $6 for the drive rubber and $8.50 to thank Dave. The Boy Scouts got one thing right: Be Prepared.

No comments: