Thursday, February 16, 2012

Want "happy ending" GI?

She shoulda realized what she was doing before she did the Hoekstra ad, especially reinforcing the stereotype of her own people, but I'm glad she either woke up or someone explained it to her.

Lisa Chan, the actress who starred in former Rep. Pete Hoekstra's (R) Senate ad in Michigan that created a racial firestorm, apologized on Facebook Wednesday for the character she portrayed.

...

Good for her.

And just an anecdote from the other day, when I had to explain to a fellow vet why that ad was racist. I told him:

"Look at it this way," I said. "It would be equivalent of saying that Hoekstra is cheap ("Save-it-now" as opposed to "Spend-it-now" in the ad) and using an obviously Jewish person, like a Rabbi or Hasidim, going around picking up pennies on the sidewalk in order to save money."

I actually saw the cartoon light bulb go on above his head. It was a good day.

2 comments:

Gordon said...

You nailed it. The trick is explaining things in terms people understand, something they can relate to.

I'm glad Ms. Chan realized the error of her ways and apologized. She's a recent UCBerzerkley grad.

casey said...

Hello Gordon,

Regarding the last sentence "She's a recent UCBerzkley grad." I wish to comment that the educational system in general has deteriorated to the point that it needs to be completely revamped. As to the test below I wish to say "That does not compute" or even "Danger Will Robinson". I could even go to "Forbidden Planet" or "2001 A Space Odyssey" for a quote or two.