Thursday, October 21, 2004

The Fall Of Castro!

Man, ol' Fidel took a righteous header! Read and see the video on MSNBC.

Now, I have never agreed with Fidel's politics, being a Cold War veteran and all. I am old enough to have served with Marines that were actually aboard ship ready to go fuck him up during the Cuban Missile Crisis.There was a time when his overthrow of the Cuban government could have been turned to our advantage, but we blew it, and the rest is history.

I have always admired his spirit, however. Here he is, in charge of a pipsqueak of a nation, 90 miles off the coast of the most powerful nation in history and he has always held his middle finger high at us. That's OK. The worst thing I can really say about him is that he sent us a lot of Republicans that we don't need. Sneaky bastard.

I wish him a full recovery. This type of injury to a 78 year-old can easily be a death sentence.

I think it is high time that our silly embargo of Cuba be called off. Most of the rest of the world already has, but our pols don't want to piss off the Cuban voting bloc in South Florida.

I have an ulterior motive. I like Old Iron and there is plenty of it in use as daily drivers in Cuba, dating prior to the revolucion. Castro himself has a '59 Chevy and an old Ducati, one of Italy's finest motorbikes. I would like to take an auto carrier (rent one from Japan, Inc.?) or tow a barge down there and load it up. I would pick a couple of real cool ones for myself, and retire on the rest of them. Wanna go, Fixer?

No comments: