Friday, February 18, 2005

Grrrrrrrr

I make no secret of the fact I'm a veteran and neither does Gord. We're both proud of our service to this country. I'm sure this will piss him off as much as it does me. Democratic Veteran:

Yo. This one goes out to all my fellow vets. The "Blog of the Year" dissed President Jimmy Carter, a vet and an honorable man. I don't know about you, but I have now become officially as hell sick of right-wing too-busy-to-have-served punks calling me and those I respect, terrorist-loving lefties. What are we going to do about it? Suggestions welcomed.

For my part, I was thinking that we can start by pointing out that those men and women of the Boomer Generation and slightly younger who sat out the Cold War in the comfort of our shadows must be commie-lovers. Yup, Lovers of Lenin all. Otherwise why were they not willing to stand on the walls to keep the heathen commies penned up within their own borders? Why? Because, by using the same logic that they use to conflate us with the likes of such miserable people as Osama, they loved Brother Joe Stalin like a sibling.

[. . .]

. . . That's one reason I served, because of my belief that every American has an equal right to be right and to be wrong. I did not serve to one day turn my country over to loud-mouthed self-absorbed reactionaries who want to dishonor me and those who believe as I do by calling me a traitor for not sharing their worldview . . . [my emphasis]

No comments: