Friday, February 18, 2005

Maher on Free Speech

I'm not a huge fan of Bill Maher, but sometimes he cuts through the shit and says good things in a wry, satirical way, so I listen to him. Go read what he has to say to schoolkids about free speech. From the LATimes.
A new survey found that a majority of high schoolers think newspapers should not be allowed to publish without government approval. And almost one in five said that Americans should be prohibited from expressing unpopular opinions.

Lemme tell you little darlings something: This is my livelihood you're messing with, so either learn the Bill of Rights or you don't deserve Social Security.

Now, I didn't mind being on the losing side of the last election. But as a loser, I guess I have some "unpopular" opinions — and I'd like to keep them. I'd even like to continue to say them right out loud on TV, because if I just get up there every Friday night and spout the Bush administration's approved talking points, that's not freedom or entertainment. It's Fox News.

I think the kids are hearing too much opinion at home and confusing it with the truth they ought to be learning in school. Oh, poor naive, idealistic me.

No comments: