Sunday, November 9, 2008

Done With Bonaparte

This is a highly metaphorical song about a soldier in a defeated army having a lot of time to think about what his leader hath wrought upon his ass on his long walk home from Moscow one winter long ago. I think it applies to us in general and Repuglican'ts in particular as we prepare to see the last of George W. Bonaparte.

I pray it will not apply to our troops as they leave Iraq.

I had a little trouble understanding all the lyrics, but the sheer wunnerfulness of the intertoobz provided them. Here's a coupla verses I think are especially moving:

We've paid in hell since Moscow burned
As Cossacks tear us piece by piece
Our dead are strewn a hundred leagues
Though death would be a sweet release

What dreams he made for us to dream
Spanish skies, Egyptian sands
The world was ours, we marched upon
Our little Corporal's command

Save my soul from evil, Lord
And heal this soldier's heart
I'll trust in thee to keep me, Lord
I'm done with Bonaparte


On another level, it's a way groovy song and the girl singer is really pretty. I chose the longer version with introduction of the band members because the audio is clearer. Enjoy.


Mark Knopfler - Done With Bonaparte

No comments: