Friday, October 28, 2011

Follow-up

To yesterday's post and Fixer's earlier one:

Business Insider (!!!)

Marines around the world are outraged by the injuries inflicted by police on Scott Olsen at Tuesday's Occupy Oakland protests. Olsen is in a medically-induced coma after getting hit in the head by a police projectile.
...

This man is not alone. In the five hours since the thread went up there have been over 600 comments.

Here's an email from the man in the picture.

Dear Mr. Johnson,

My name is Jay C Gentile, and I'm the man in the picture on BI's front page. I'm sure you're a busy man so I'll try to keep my words to a minimum. I was wondering if you, as a journalist, and with the resources at your disposal, could tell me a reliable place where I can find updates about Scott Olsen's condition. "Occupy Wallstreet" movement aside, Marines share a bond that escapes the boundaries of the English language. I'd like to be able to "check up" on this young man, my brother, and keep up with his condition.

Thank you very much,

Semper Fidelis
-Jay C. Gentile

No worries, young man. This is a big deal and you'll hear. It ain't going away no matter how much Oakland PD would like it to.

Note to OPD: Marines are always on duty protecting this country, even long after their active duty. You can't tell them from civilians until it's too late and then you will pay. Best not to unnecessarily fuck with citizens lest you fuck with a Marine by mistake.

And yes, every last Jarhead in the country is pissed off over this and rightly so. Somewhere in this land there's a 100-year-old Marine Mail Guard who tore his walker to shreds when he heard about this. He'll survey it for a new one and OPD better watch out.

4 comments:

merlallen said...

I can spot a jarhead active duty or not anywhere. Us squids learn who to avoid right away

Gordon said...

Most of us actually like sailors. You got us to where we needed to go. There might have been some, er, sober (cough) discussion of little things that pop up from time to time, but that's true of cockstrong young guys anywhere.

Gordon said...

The Navy Corpsmen and Dental Techs were good guys too. We'd trade 'em batteries for their personal radios for cleaning our teeth. The Seabees trained with us as well. They all outranked us, every last one of 'em an IPO (Instant Petty Officer) because they brought a trade the Navy needed. They couldn't shoot for shit.

merlallen said...

actually, I really like jarheads.
I wasn't kidding about recognizing one when I see him