Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Problems ...

This is an unbelievable statistic:

Nearly 20 percent of the more than 2 million troops who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan suffer from mental health conditions, according to a new report.

They amount to more than half of the 712,000 veterans from both wars who have sought medical treatment since leaving military service. Nearly a third of those veterans may suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, one of the signature injuries of the conflicts.

...


Call me a cynic, but why don't I have much faith in our government to give these people the help they need in a timely manner? We're gonna have serious problems if we don't do all we can to help them reintegrate into the real world. PTSD ain't a problem that goes away when you leave a war zone.

Link via No More Mister Nice Blog via Skippy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep thinking of that article I read some time ago about Marines fighting in Afghanistan. The thing I remember most is how the Marines in the article were gobbling all kinds of antidepressants, tranquilizers, etc., just to keep themselves going....and to keep from crashing out altogether....

montag said...

40,000 people trained to shoot and kill, with mental health problems and both the House and Senate Veterans committees are OK with the idea of cutting veteran benefits. Who thinks up all these brilliant ideas?

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/10/military-veterans-committee-leaders-open-to-VA-cuts-101711w/

Anonymous said...

The horrible thing to me is that the VA and the military are lying.

I'll bet the numbers are triple what they claim. People in service are killing themselves faster than the "enemy" can kill them.

Agent Orange wasn't a problem either.

From the 1970s until Google, I was told formally that I had not served in any area that was sprayed.

Tracked down a guy from my unit. Bed ridden. He told me to look up such and such unit and Agent Orange on Google.

I slept, ate and pulled guard duty on a compound that dispensed over 50,000 gallons of that evil in 6 or 7 years. I was only there for two or three months, but no compound that I served on had any grass growing on it.

Yeah, just 20 percent or 30 percent. Lying jackals.

Fixer said...

I'll bet the numbers are triple what they claim.

That's a given.

nunya said...

Been watching this all my life hon :(