Thursday, June 23, 2011

Desperadoes Waiting For A Train?

Going through old family photos is a trip! I have no idea when or where this photo was taken. Coulda been when my dad was in the Indian Service amongst the Assiniboine Sioux on the Fort Peck Reservation in Montana in 1914 or twenty years later around my uncle Gordon's placer claims near Bumble Bee AZ. I tend toward the latter, but ¿quien sabe?. Thanks ta the interwebs I getsta look lotsa stuff up!

The sign in the upper left says 'Western Union - Telegraph - ?' I can't make out the 3rd line. Could these gents be waiting for a telegram to come in hopes one of them will get to ride the bicycle?

Click to make-um big

4 comments:

Fixer said...

Looks like they just rounded up the James Gang. ;)

Anonymous said...

Gordon, are some of those guys wearing moccasins?

Striking faces on display.

GREAT PHOTO!!!!

Thank you.

Jay in N.C.

Gordon said...

Maybe a couple of 'em. Most are wearing low quarter shoes which I think is odd.

Anonymous said...

"Low quarters." Now there's a term I haven't heard in a few decades. :)

You have the actual photograph and that may give you a little bit of visual advantage but from what I can see I'm still betting on moccasins. Looking from right to left... #1 appears to maybe have ankle high mocs. I can't make out a heel on the shoe. #4 I'm thinking moccasins because they look very soft and formed to the foot. #7 and #8 might be moccasins, again because they look soft and formed to the foot.

The photos are so great! More! More!

Jay in N.C.