Thursday, May 10, 2007

Powell's Chief of Staff Proposes Impeachment

AfterDowningStreet

On Thursday, May 10, 2007, Lawrence Wilkerson, speaking on National Public Radio, proposed impeaching President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney. Here's the audio. (Click 'listen', upper left - G)

Wilkerson said in early comments on the show: "This administration doesn't know how to effect accountability in my opinion." But he did not raise the possibility of impeachment until after a member of the audience had phoned in.

The first caller who was put on the air demanded an investigation of the lies that launched the war, and asked for accountability "all the way up." In response to Adelman's claims that history would hold people accountable, the caller said "I would love to have a job where, worst case scenario, my historical record is flawed."

That hit home for me. As a motorcycle mechanic, I have held hundreds of people's lives in my hands. I've had customers die through their own actions or those of others, but never because I did something wrong or left something undone, thank you Lord. 'Accountability' had nothing to do with it, really. It's a moral imperative not to put folks in more danger than they're already in out there among the blind, deaf, and dumb cage drivers. And speaking of 'historical records', I sent something to my septic tank this morning that will have a better 'legacy' than Bush and Cheney put together.

After an interruption, Wilkerson continued: "The language in that article, the language in those two or three lines about impeachment is nice and precise – it's high crimes and misdemeanors. You compare Bill Clinton's peccadilloes for which he was impeached to George Bush's high crimes and misdemeanors or Dick Cheney's high crimes and misdemeanors, and I think they pale in significance."

Ashbrook asked for some examples of such high crimes and misdemeanors, and Wilkerson replied: "I think that the caller was right. I think we went into this war for specious reasons. I think we went into this war not too much unlike the way we went into the Spanish American War with the Hearst press essentially goading the American people and the leadership into war. That was a different time in a different culture, in a different America. We're in a very different place today and I think we essentially got goaded into the war through some of the same means."

Same means, yes, but this time it was for oil and hegemony instead of selling newspapers. Another difference is that, however wrong it may have been, The Spanish-American War lasted only 113 days and we won, not X amount of years of loss of blood and treasure and Bush lost.

Impeach Cheney, then Bush. First the organ grinder, then the monkey.

No comments: