Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Fascism anyone?

From the Council for Secular Humanism via Skippy:

[. . .]

For the purpose of this perspective, I will consider the following regimes: Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, Franco’s Spain, Salazar’s Portugal, Papadopoulos’s Greece, Pinochet’s Chile, and Suharto’s Indonesia. To be sure, they constitute a mixed bag of national identities, cultures, developmental levels, and history. But they all followed the fascist or protofascist model in obtaining, expanding, and maintaining power. Further, all these regimes have been overthrown, so a more or less complete picture of their basic characteristics and abuses is possible.

Analysis of these seven regimes reveals fourteen common threads that link them in recognizable patterns of national behavior and abuse of power. These basic characteristics are more prevalent and intense in some regimes than in others, but they all share at least some level of similarity.

[. . .]


I know I harp on this. Maybe because I recognize it so readily from the stories of my German-born mother and my family there. Maybe because I've been to the camps and seen the depths to which people will sink in service of their 'leader'. I don't know, but I see it happening here and so do others who are a little more sane and level-headed than I am.

No comments: