Thursday, February 12, 2009

Colonoscopy

I got this via e-mail from my old High School bud, Steve. Believe me, I open anything with 'colonoscopy' and 'Dave Barry' in the same sentence with trepidation, and I was right. Here's just a taste. The rest is Below the Fold.

Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner. I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, quote, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!'

Having had probably more than 17,000 feet of stuff metaphorically shoved up my behind over the years, I could totally relate!

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose watery bowel movement may result.' This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic here, but: Have you ever seen a space shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You
eliminate everything.

And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.

Up to this point, my idea of 'MoviPrep' was to first get a large buttered popcorn and then try to find a seat somehere other than behind someone with a big hat which I'd have to knock off when the picture starts.

[...] There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by ABBA I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen' has to be the least appropriate.

(Snicker!)

There are some claimed actual comments from patients undergoing this procedure. I believe it.

2. 'Find Amelia Earhart yet?'

Enjoy.

No comments: