Saturday, May 23, 2009

Saturday Emmylou Blogging and some memories

Frank Reckard on the dazzling guitar work

Mr. Reckard had an odd habit. He would stash his lit cigarette under the strings up by the nut during a song. I saw him do it at The Palomino Club one time. That was the time I balked at paying $3 for a Bud longneck and snuck a sixer of 'em in in the deep pockets of my jacket. I ordered one bottle to make it look good and then put the empties back in the pockets. The waitress musta thought I was a real lightweight! Every time she came to our table she'd pick up my bottle to see if I needed a fresh one. I never did. I got pretty gooned up on that one bottle! Didn't get caught either. Heh.

Speaking of The Palomino Club, they used to have a prime rib buffet night. There was a little cover charge but single gals got in free. Me'n my boss took our wives one night and had them go in by themselves and then we picked 'em up in the buffet line like we'd never seen 'em before. The other folks musta either thought we were slicker'n shit (unlikely) or those gals were pretty easy! Heh again. Mrs. G will kill me if she sees that.

Eventually, we didn't need those kinda dodges to save money at the Palomino anymore. After we started working on the bouncer's Triumph we never paid a cover charge again.

This is at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in 1984.


Emmylou Harris & The Hot Band ~ Two More Bottles Of Wine & Luxury Liner

Thanks to 1000Magicians, UK.


Update:

Just fer grins here's a little more about the Palomino from the wikilink above:

[...] The Palomino Club was notable because in addition to being the San Fernando Valley’s premiere night club, it was a neighborhood working class bar (opening at 6am with a happy hour from 8am to 10am!) [...]

To serious drinkers, the 6AM opening is known as 'sick call'. The morning Happy Hour makes it 'socialized medicine'.

[...]The Palomino’s dressing rooms and backstage areas were generally open to the public. Fans could ask if the artists were receiving visitors and most artists welcomed them, gladly signing autographs, etc. [...]

The 'etc.' covered a lot of territory. I think the high point of my musical career was smokin' a doob with Doug Dillard in that back room. He's best known in the non-Bluegrass world for bein' the banjo-pickin' Darling on The Andy Griffith Show. He has a world-class grin, and while we were tokin' up he said I had a good grin. That's like Jesus tellin' ya you're a good boy!

By the way, drunk, stoned, sober, or all three at once, Mr. Dillard played his banjo fast and precisely. Still does today.

The Palomino Club was an amazingly unique venue the likes of which will never be seen again.

Ah, memories. Memories of good times at the Palomino are all that's left of it. I doubt that I'm alone.

No comments: