Friday, July 31, 2009

Library Expansion in Posh NY Hood Goes On

School Library Journal

A year after SLJ reported on the contentious dispute over a proposal to add a children’s room to the East Hampton Library in New York, the kids of the posh summer community are no closer to seeing it become a reality.

Library Director Dennis Fabiszak has said that the East Hampton Village Board of Zoning Appeals has expressed concern that an expanded children’s collection would lead to more library usage by those who live in the less affluent areas of Springs and Wainscott.

I've become kind of a fan of the TV show Royal Pains about a concierge doctor out in the Fab Humpingtons. The homes they show are excessive in the extreme. I grew up in Beverly Hills, which would probably be considered a 'less affluent area' out there. Yeesh.

Yeah, God should only forbid the children of the merely affluent, even wealthy, get to read the truly filthy rich people's books and soil the library with their presence. Besides, they might show up barefoot riding water buffaloes or something.

Update:

There was a glaring geographical error at the 'Beverly Hills' wiki link that should have been obvious to anybody who ever lived there, so I edited it. First time I've done that. Damn, it was easy! So easy, in fact, that I went back and added a bunch more shit I thought enquiring minds would want to know. Just a coupla discreet tidbits that I thought were lacking, but what I know about that town pre-1971 would bust it (and Wikipedia!) wide open was I of a mind to!

No comments: