Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Obama Deception: Why Cornel West Went Ballistic

Chris Hedges on Cornel West's critiques of Obama. I'm a big fan of Dr. West but that doesn't mean I always agree with him, hell, I don't always agree with myself, but I always listen to what he has to say.

“When you look at a society you look at it through the lens of the least of these, the weak and the vulnerable; you are committed to loving them first, not exclusively, but first, and therefore giving them priority,” says West, the Class of 1943 University Professor of African American Studies and Religion at Princeton University. “And even at this moment, when the empire is in deep decline, the culture is in deep decay, the political system is broken, where nearly everyone is up for sale, you say all I have is the subversive memory of those who came before, personal integrity, trying to live a decent life, and a willingness to live and die for the love of folk who are catching hell. This means civil disobedience, going to jail, supporting progressive forums of social unrest if they in fact awaken the conscience, whatever conscience is left, of the nation. And that’s where I find myself now.

“I have to take some responsibility,” he admits of his support for Obama as we sit in his book-lined office. “I could have been reading into it more than was there.

I think that's where a lot of deeply disappointed liberals are. I'm not thrilled by a lot of what he has continued from the Chimp's maladministration or his caving to the Repugs either, but I'm generally fine with him when I consider the alternative. Shudder.

“This was maybe America’s last chance to fight back against the greed of the Wall Street oligarchs and corporate plutocrats, to generate some serious discussion about public interest and common good that sustains any democratic experiment,” West laments. “We are squeezing out all of the democratic juices we have. The escalation of the class war against the poor and the working class is intense. More and more working people are beaten down. They are world-weary. They are into self-medication. They are turning on each other. They are scapegoating the most vulnerable rather than confronting the most powerful. It is a profoundly human response to panic and catastrophe. I thought Barack Obama could have provided some way out. But he lacks backbone.

“Our last hope is to generate a democratic awakening among our fellow citizens. This means raising our voices, very loud and strong, bearing witness, individually and collectively. Tavis [Smiley] and I have talked about ways of civil disobedience, beginning with ways for both of us to get arrested, to galvanize attention to the plight of those in prisons, in the hoods, in poor white communities. We must never give up. We must never allow hope to be eliminated or suffocated.”

Agree with him or disagree with him, and I do both, go read. You decide.

Just as an aside, my biggest unfounded nightmare is to be stuck on a desert island with Dr. West, Rachel Maddow, and Tavis Smiley. Three of the smartest and most assuredly the three fastest talkers on the planet. Since I would only catch about one word in ten and would never get a word in edgewise, I'd just gather coconuts...

No comments: