Wednesday, July 4, 2012

8 Fucking Years!

4 July, once again, brings about the Brain's birthday. I still can't believe we've been doing this so damn long; "lookin' for a chance to lob a few at the enemy and praying for a secondary explosion". I seems like yesterday, the Great Wave of Progressive Blogging that began just before the 2004 elections because so many were fed up with the war criminals in the White House. It was an amazing time, several new blogs popping up every day, everybody had something to say, everybody so happy to find like-minded people out there among the tsunami of righty propaganda. Many, I would say most, have gone by the wayside 8 years on, but most of the good ones have pressed on and kept up the fight, from the disappointment of John Kerry's loss to the euphoria of watching the first black man become President of the United States. I was proud to be part of all of it.

If this sounds like the beginning of a farewell letter, it is, sort of. I have nothing firm in mind but I can tell you, I won't be here for the 9th anniversary. I just can't deal with it anymore, to be so involved and having my sensibilities assaulted every day by the latest GOP faux outrage du jour. After 8 years of it, I feel like it's sucked most of my soul away. I thought I was a cynic before we started but now, 8 years later, cynicism has burned itself into my DNA. It's burnt me out.

I have no regrets, don't get me wrong, I would never trade the experience here at the Brain for anything. I have met wonderful people, some who I've become close personal friends with. I've learned never to believe and always question what is presented to me as 'news'. I've learned more about how our system of government works than I ever did in school and I've learned how cynically a great portion of our elected officials take their duty as representatives of the people. I've learned, from our commenters and fellow bloggers, about compassion, dedication, and how to look at myself in the mirror, to question long-held beliefs of mine and change my point of view. It has made me a far better man and I thank you all for your help in that regard.

And, lastly, I'd like to thank Gordon, without whom I never would have gone this long. Gordon has inspired me, made me laugh my ass off, and made me think about things I never had experience with before I met him. Gordon's perspective on events, on people, and on life in general has educated me and expanded my worldview. Brother, you have given me a wonderful gift and I am eternally grateful. Thank you.

So, I'm not up and leaving right now, I guarantee I'll be here for the election, but this will be the last of these anniversary posts for me. I'm shooting for sometime around Christmas and definitely before the new year. The blog will still be here and Gordon will be able to do as he pleases with it, and I don't rule out a rant on here once in a while in the future, but I'm done, stick a fork in me.

Thanks again to all, have a safe and happy 4th, and remember, especially today, that when someone says "watch this", run like hell.

7 comments:

JEG43 said...

Fixer, thank you for all the time and effort you've poured into this blog. It's been a daily read and inspiration for quite a while and I know that I'm gonna miss you when you pull the plug.
You have my respect and admiration, Sir, and I wish you and yours all the best, now and in the future.
It was an honor to meet you.

Gordon said...

Thank you, Fixer, for giving me a home. I have more to say but I'm a little choked up right now. Love ya, brother.

Phil said...

Yes, I too must express my deepest gratitude to you and Gordon both.
I am not kidding when I tell you this is the first stop I make after checking my own blog.
Just to give you an idea of just how long it has been, I first ran into you way the fuck back over at Jane's place, FireDogLake, back when it was just her and she was still using Haloscan for comments.
My how things have changed.
I blame her for my blogging.

I can remember you scaring the shit out of a newbie Blogger once by inviting me to post here too.
Looking back, I think it was a smart move on my part to decline, this place has a distinct atmosphere that you have created.

I would like to thank you also for being a stand up guy.
There is a real dearth of that in this day and age.

Thank you also for your encouragement, the link love and your friendship, it means a great deal to me.

Don't worry about The Brain, Gord will take good care of it and I will certainly continue to make this my first stop of the day, I get a huge kick out of that guy,you are both friends and he is one in a million.
I will also goad him on at every opportunity.

The burn out is perfectly understandable, I had to lay off the politics because it was making me mental.what was obvious to us as the right thing to do got ignored by those in the club as they do whatever they can to protect their fellow members.
It's just like Drifty say's, there is a club and we ain't in it.

God bless ya sir and good luck.
You will be missed.

Philip Paul, AKA, Bustednuckles.

deuddersun said...

Damn, I am really sorry to read this, although I have to say, I understand. I, like others, hit burnout a while ago. Still, the fervor to counter the AlwaysWrongRight and the innate desire to shine a light into the darkness by spreading the Truth, has led me to a new venue, Facebook, of all places. Maybe someday I'll reactivate my blog. Maybe someday, we could have a Blogger's Reunion, get the old API back together again for one more charge into the roar of the cannons.

I know you'll still be around, lurking, reading, and at some point something is going to piss you off mightily, and you'll just have to talk about it.

When that day comes, I want to be around to hear it.

Semper Fi Zoomie! You're a straight shootin' son of a bitch and that's all anyone can really ask for.

d.

George Markunas said...

I have to say I was always impressed by you sticking around long after I burned out. I also have to admit that I wasn't a daily reader because when I shut down Any Which Way I lived by the old saw Ignorance is Bliss, and stopping by here would have fucked that all to hell.
Anyway, me not being the most friendly, social type, I didn't know you well, but I know you're a fighter, and I suspect you'll stay active in some fashion. Good luck in all you do.

Anonymous said...

I, like many of the other commenters, found inspiration, laughter, and a kindred spirit here at The Alternate Brain.

I also started blogging somewhere around 2004 when I learned my brother was being stop-lossed to participate in GW's little jaunt in the desert of Iraq. I was full of anger, rage, and frustration at the direction our country was taking and, Damn It, I wasn't gonna take it no more.

Like you Fixer, I also got burnt out somewhere jus after the 2008 election. I was tired of having to repeat myself ad nauseum to what seemed like an empty room. Besides, life was calling and wouldn't leave a voicemail.

Your little spot here in this corner of the blogosphere (do they still call it that?) was a welcome refuge from all of the political BS going around. Your posts (and Gordon's too!) made me smile, made me laugh, made me want to rip my hair out, and also made me realize I wasn't alone with the thoughts going round my brain housing group.

But here's the thing, I came back. And I suspect you will too. Like Gordon stated, you're a fighter. But even the best fighters need a break between rounds. So I implore you to take a break for however long you need. In the meantime, I know you will always be welcome to post back here at The Brain, but also at my new place: The Bulldog Says... Anytime you want to guest post, just let me know. You're going to be missed, my friend.

deuddersun said...

Hmmm... Bulldog's back? Fixer's fixing to split. Maybe, just maybe, it's finally time....