Wednesday, June 14, 2006

"Morale, my ass"

Such language from Molly Ivins! I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you! She's right again. Subject is Iraq, Zarqawi, the Gitmo suicides.

Now it seems to me one might have any number of reactions to news of suicides at Guantanamo, but righteous indignation is not one of them. Most of these prisoners have been held for four years now without possibility of charge, trial or parole. I should think they would be suicidal.

I'm sorry we failed to prevent it, but I'm not sure that's possible. "They hid their plans to die?" Gee, the sneaks.

If I wanted to win a global war on terror, I'd sure be concerned about what they think. I would hope the right would at least be concerned over the damage being done to the American military by this war.

Morale, my ass. Excuse me, but our government doesn't even seem to be able to pay these people on time. Not to mention stretching them past the breaking point in Iraq, leaving them without adequate mental care when they come home, endlessly extending their tours, bribing them to re-up, and so forth and so on. Then, of course, something like Haditha happens, and they all get a black eye out of it.

I think it's time the antiwar side in this country started using a few threats of its own -- specifically, about who's going to take the blame for this when it's over.

Forget the liberal tradition of forgiveness. I say, hold this grudge. (my em)

I have said this many times to many people in many situations. I'll say it again: "Fuckin' A, lady!"

No comments: