Sunday, October 8, 2006

Ponta Delgado and Horta

After never having been to the Azores before, I was quite pleasantly surprised at what we found. My first, and lasting, impression is that the Azorans (Azorites?) are a nation of craftspeople. From the sidewalks decorated with basalt and limestone (these are volcanic islands) to the tile work on the houses, they are a very creative and aesthetically aware people. Properties are separated by beautiful stone fences that parcel out the countryside.

The islands themselves also posess a natural beauty. The clouded peaks rising up from the sea where beautiful, dense forests abound. The Azoran people have also put the volcanic heritage of their islands to good use, using geothermal energy to produce power, the greatest pollution source coming from auto exhaust and cow farts. Lotsa cattle of all types abound.

On Ponta Delgado we took a tour up to one of the volcanic craters, a place called Fire Lake (yes, the Bob Seger song went through my head constantly). It was exquisite beauty, even though the weather had changed for the worse. From what I understand from the locals, the weather can change faster than in the midwest U.S., where storms blow up off the Atlantic, especially on the windward side of the islands.

A trip to a pineapple plantation was also on the itinerary and it was fascinating how they grow them in hothouses. We also got to taste pinapple liquor, which sucked wet monkey ass in my book, but the bright side was the lady of the house also makes her own table linens for sale. Mrs. F bought a bunch of those for the dining room at home.

We didn't do much in Horta but walk around and shop some more, enjoying the quaint village and beautiful churches. We both said we wouldn't mind spending a week among these people who were very warm and friendly, regardless of how they feel about our Preznit and the shitty American policy of late.

We're now cruising about a thousand miles WSW of the islands, making good speed (30 kts) for Bermuda on restless seas. A low cloud deck came over us last night after we pulled out, bringing with it 25 knot winds and 10 - 15 foot swells. Noordam is rocking (though no sweat on her part), and some of the Olde Fartes (yes! Lurch coined that phrase!) have been complaining, but I had the most restful sleep last night. Personally, I'm hoping the swells get a bit bigger before it lets off, the ride is fantastic.

I'm running low on Internet time (I'm not giving Holland America another $100; it's cost me $200 so far) so this will probably be my last post until we hit Bermuda on Thursday. We'll be home Saturday morning and then I'll be back on the line, ready to join my troops (Do I make good personnel decisions or what?) for the big push to Election Day. I'm rested and relaxed and can't wait to get back into the fight. Thanks for the wonderful comments by everyone on my vacation posts and it's been fun having you along. I'll talk to you all from Bermuda.

Oh, bartender ...

No comments: