Sunday, August 5, 2007

Really?

Hillary:

Asked whether she would agree with that, Clinton said, "I don't think, based on my 35 years of fighting for what I believe in, anybody seriously believes I'm going to be influenced by a lobbyist or a particular interest."


Well, I do. I believe that every politician can be bought, the only determining factor being the price for turning their backs on their principles (if they have any to begin with).

No one should be allowed access to a candidate based on contributions. I don't care if they're lobbying for a 'good' cause or 'bad' one. Good and bad in this case is extremely subjective and I don't trust our elected officials to be able to tell the difference. Not when money is involved I don't.

Lobbying groups should go the way of the dinosaurs.

Let me elaborate.

If a group feels the need to inform a senator or congressperson about a particular issue, the meeting should be taking place in a government office, with the minutes recorded either on video or paper. Lobbying groups should not be able to donate to a campaign or give a rep any gifts. The situation has gotten way out of hand and any politician who endorses it is using it to their own benefit.

No comments: