Monday, March 3, 2008

G-L-O-R-I-A!

My mom was a big fan of Gloria Steinem. In fact, Gloria's a lot like my mom, a tough old broad who looks adversity square in the face and calls 'em like she sees 'em. I might not always agree with her, but when she's right on ...

...

McCain was, in fact, a prisoner of war for around five-and-a-half years, during which time he was tortured repeatedly. Referring to his time in captivity, Steinem said with bewilderment, "I mean, hello? This is supposed to be a qualification to be president? I don't think so."

Steinem’s broader argument was that the media and the political world are too admiring of militarism in all its guises.

"I am so grateful that she [Clinton] hasn’t been trained to kill anybody. And she probably didn’t even play war games as a kid. It's a great relief from Bush in his jump suit and from Kerry saluting."

...


I'll say this though, putting Bush's (or McCain's) military record up against Kerry's and both come up lacking.

Shit, if being able kill somebody is a qualification for being President, I'm in. The US government spent a lot of your money teaching me how to kill people quickly and efficiently, and that makes me ready for the Presidency? Who knew? Anybody got a couple hundred million I can borrow?

I think I'm gonna redecorate the Oval Office. That carpet has got to go. Heh ...

No comments: