Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Gorillas in the mist ...

About 10 years ago, Mrs. F and I took one of our nieces for a day to the Bronx Zoo (a must-visit if you're ever in NYC). As we went through the primate exhibit, I looked up, to the branch of a gnarly old tree about 10 feet above. I made eye contact with a mother gorilla who was just sitting there, holding her little baby who slept in her arms. She and I considered each other for a few minutes and I saw something in her eyes that told me this was no 'lower order' of life.

In our three minute trance, I was convinced there was more humanity in that mother gorilla than in a good portion of the humans I ran across in a day. We moved on but that experience touched me to my core. I will never forget it and it was on that day I made a promise to myself that I would see these amazing creatures in the wild before I die. Fortunately, they might not be extinct by the time I get there.

...

A grueling survey of vast tracts of forest and swamp in the northern Congo Republic has revealed the presence of more than 125,000 western lowland gorillas, a rare example of abundance in a world of rapidly vanishing primate populations.

As recently as last year, this subspecies of the world’s largest primate was listed as critically endangered by international wildlife organizations because known populations — estimated at less than 100,000 in the 1980s — had been devastated by hunting and outbreaks of Ebola virus. The three other subspecies are either critically endangered or endangered.

...


And being the Mrs. and I are cruise junkies:

Holland America Line offers three distinct Africa itineraries including a 20,500 nautical mile circumnavigation that visits 28 unique ports of call in 18 countries for the ultimate Africa Voyage. Experience Africa's animal kingdom on a 3-day safari in Kenya; explore the markets of Casablanca, shop for diamonds in Namibia, relax on the beaches of Durban and journey through the Suez Canal to Egypt and discover the pyramids of Giza, the Sphinx, and the extraordinary antiquities in Cairo's museums. Enjoy "at sea" days being completely spoiled by our crew and indulging in relaxing or invigorating onboard activities. All this aboard our most intimate ship, the 793-guest ms Prinsendam*.


You never know. One day you might catch me blogging from a Masai village. Heh ...

*We'll be aboard Prinsendam in a few weeks and of course I'll be bringing you guys along.

No comments: