Thursday, July 23, 2009

What is a Proud Liberal?

Sometimes I need to remind myself. From A Proud Liberal.

The post starts off with this verse from a song about 'the troubles' in Ulster and people teaching their children to hate:

I was a child in the sixties
When dreams could be held through TV
We had Disney, and Cronkite, and Martin Luther
And, I believed, I believed . . . I BELIEVED
...

It's a Hard Life Wherever You Go
Words & Music by Nanci Griffith

I'll go 'em one better. Here's the whole deal:

Recorded at Celtic Connections 2009 - Glasgow, Scotlland


Nanci Griffith ~ It's A Hard Life Wherever You Go

Thanks to tomtscotland, Glasgow.


The post talks about how we've been labelled by the never-right and quotes John Kennedy:

What do our opponents mean when they apply to us the label, “Liberal”? If by “Liberal” they mean, as they want people to believe, someone who is soft in his policies abroad, who is against local government, and who is unconcerned with the taxpayer's dollar, then the record of this party and its members demonstrate that we are not that kind of “Liberal.” But, if by a “Liberal,” they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people - their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties - someone who believes that we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a “Liberal,” then I'm proud to say that I'm a “Liberal.”

Fuckin' A!

I still BELIEVE.

No comments: